Blemish free, clear skin that is fresh looking and youthful – who doesn’t want that?! The hunt for the perfect product that eliminates pores or pimples will forever be eternal and a huge waste of money, because skin remedies start from within.
Here are 6 tips I use daily to help my skin stay healthy. This doesn’t mean I don’t get breakouts or have days where I feel like I look 10 years older, but in general my skin is a lot better than it used to be. I feel confident without makeup on (most days) and don’t suffer from long periods of acne.
I’ve also struggled with loose skin around my belly area after losing weight and some of the below points have been hugely beneficial, but it’s not a quick fix! Self care takes time – including skincare, but it’s worth the investment.
- Eat more fermented foodI’ve incoperated a selection of fermented foods in my diet to help improve my digestion, help make vitamins and minerals more easily absorbed, and repopulate my gut flora. There is a whole list of benefits to eating fermented food, which I’m not going to do here. I particularly like drinking milk kefir and kombucha, and eating sauerkraut, kimchi and miso. Look for simple ways to feed your skin from the inside.
- Eat collagenCollagen is found in muscles, skin, bones, tendons, joints and our digestive systems to name a few. It’s the most plentiful protein in our bodies and it gives our skin strength and elasticity – a bit like glue for the body! As we age we produce less and less collagen, which means saggy skin and wrinkles. Sad times! I’ve seen some really great results with not only my facial skin, but tummy area too where my skin had been stretched after gaining weight and then losing it. I add 1-2 scoops of collagen to my tea, coffee, smoothies or porridge, as it doesn’t have a taste and is easy to eat.
- Monthly facials I sweat a lot! Not only am I constantly demonstrating exercises as a PT, but I also exercise a lot. This means I get a lot build up of dirt on my skin, so I go for a deep cleanse facial every month to remove any blackheads that build up and freshen up my skin. This has made the most noticeable difference in the shortest space of time, as the above tips take months to show any changes.
- Cleaning habitsThis one might seem obvious, but I was a bit lazy when it came to keeping my face clean. I now wash and moisturise my face in the morning and night time regardless of if I went out, or have make-up on or not. I clean my face religiously and it’s a game changer. I also clean my mobile screen to avoid putting any nasty germs onto my face from the screen my fingers have been touching. Fingers touch everything! I try to avoid touching my face where possible to avoid getting more dirt on my skin.
- SleepI get a minimum of 7 hours sleep a night to help my body regenerate, but the ideal is 8 hours. Sleep is key to keeping your body happy and that includes your skin!
- ProductsI don’t believe in one magical product, as I genuinely believe it’s about healthy habits and keeping consistent with a skincare routine to find a good balance. That being said I do like think having a good cleanser, toner and moisturiser is essential and I swear by a gentle face scrub. I have been enjoying both Cowshed and Kheil’s for these purposes, but that’s not to say they are the best.
I hope that helps! Please leave a comment below if you have any questions or would like to know more! 🙂