This classic pudding is one of the greatest home comforts and can still be enjoyed when trying to recreate a healthier lifestyle. There are many variations to the traditional crumble whether you prefer a berry filled crumble for a more summery edition or whether you like to stick to the old favourites of apples, pears and/or rhubarb to pair with your custard!
I have gone for the latter on this occasion for a wonderfully Winter treat.
So, let’s get stuck in…
3 medium apples
4 ripe pears
600g Rhubarb (approx 4 stalks)
Finely grated zest and juice of 1 grapefruit
200g wholemeal flour
50g Organic porridge oats or museli
25g Grape-nuts or clusters breakfast cereal
200g cold butter, diced
- Preheat oven to 200C/fan/ 180C gas/ 350F/ Gas 4
- Combine flour, brown sugar, oats, almonds and the walnuts in a mixing bowl. Add a few cubes of butter at a time and rub into the mixture until the ingredients resembles breadcrumbs.
- Roughly chop and core the apples, pears and rhubarb into chunks and spread evenly into your large oven proof crumble dish.
- Generously sprinkle raisins across fruit mix in the dish.
- Squeeze grapefruit juice onto mix to add a citrus flavour to balance out the sweetness.
- Now add the crumble mixture on top of the fruit, with your hands. Use a ‘crumbling’ motion with your fingers, drawing the mixture back against your palms to smooth the texture.
- Roughly add this layer to give a clustered look on top of the crumble
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until crumble is golden and fruit is bubbling underneath.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
P.S pair this quick bake crumble with some Oppo ice cream for an awesome guilt-free dessert. Or stick to cream or custard for a traditional sweet treat.